LightGlass – The Fusion of Light and Glass
LightGlass – Convert Glass into a Daylight-quality Light Source
Since the 12th century, glass has served the purpose of allowing sunlight into rooms and protecting us from external influences. Almost 900 years later, LightGlass, a Vienna based glass technology company, is converting glass itself into an almost daylight-quality light source.
Transparent Surfaces becoming Planar Lights
The vision for transparent glass surfaces that become homogenous planar lights at the touch of a button in windows and doors, partition wall systems, skylines, facades and elevators is – thanks to LightGlass – becoming a reality and is now manufacturable on an industrial scale.
“What if glass becomes a source of light itself? Simulating the sun’s best features, allowing windows to continue to be our source of light long after the sun has set”.
LightGlass – The Reality of Luminescent Glass
Creating a vision for luminescent glass on an industrial scale a reality required solving many technical issues. Those included, among others:
• Availability of light and flexible fixtures for almost every single type of IGU while maintaining 100% tightness for the whole system.
• A light quality nearing natural light as close as possible.
• Use of durable, efficient, high-performance LEDs that were easy to maintain without affecting the gas-tightness of the whole system.
• Incorporating tunable white light and the full RGB color spectrum.
• Creating a thermal management system which is able to draw heat away well and maintain ongoing control of the system’s temperature.
• Building a system that could also be attached to a warm edge.
• All of the above factors to be merged into one single unit.
Self-Illuminating Glass Technology
Innovative product applications with self-illuminating glass technology ‘ALED Daylight’ and ‘ALED Privacy-Plus’ with enhanced privacy-effect presented at the BAU in Munich 2017 and the 2017 International Builders’ Show in Orlando.
The possibilities in application are virtually unlimited: facades, doors, partition wall systems, skylines, facades and elevators. LightGlass is a great and very different sample of large format, planar lighting technology.
Here’s a small promotion video that was used by Glass Technology to present its concept at the above-mentioned events:
We’re watching the developments around the LightGlass concept closely, and keep our followers both in the lighting and architectural (glass) industries inspired once novel innovations appear!